Next edition – Saturday 16th September 2023
Developed by Tiller & Wheel and Sun Pier House, with support from Medway Council.
The Festival of Chatham Reach creates a country fayre atmosphere by the water, focusing on the heritage of the River and historic river vessels. With activities located on Sun Pier and alongside at Sun Pier House, in Chatham.
Tiller & Wheel CIC want to make the day as available to all, with many of the activities free of charge or subsidised, to ensure that price is not a barrier to participation.
This is in part thanks to our Patrons – www.patreon.com/tillerandwheel – a diverse group of people who choose to support us to make sailing these ships available to all.
Following the inaugural edition in 2021, we are pleased to be bringing the Festival back on Saturday 16th September 2023 between 10am – 4pm.
The 2022 activites will include:
- Steam Tug Barking offering free ship tours,
- Sailing trips on board Sailing Barges Edith May and Repertor
- Sailing Barge Blue Mermaid offering free tours and demonstrations,
- Red2Red Ribs offering high speed rib tours
- Free history walks, covering the old theatres, great fire of Chatham and river industries.
- Live music throughout the day, including sea shanties and folk music
- Have-a-go activities for all
- An arts market, local produce and food stalls
- Exhibition ‘Red Sails over the Medway’ in The Riverside Gallery at Sun Pier House
- Drop in family friendly art workshops
General Information about the day:
Many of the activities are free and available throughout the day, but the river trips (link to be posted soon) and history walks have limited availability and should be booked in advance.
Tours of the static ships take place at set times and for a limited number of people – these spaces can be booked on the day.
History walks depart at 1030 and 1430hrs and can be booked here: – Walking Tours
There are excellent public transport links, with Chatham bus and train stations only a short walk away.
There is no on site parking. The nearest parking sites are the Pentagon and Sir John Hawkins car parks.
Sun Pier House will be open, with on site café and toilets.
Thank you to our funding partners Medway Council and Historic England.
#HighStreetHeritageActionZone #HiddenHistories #HistoricHighStreets #Medway #TheOldHighStreetIntra #ChathamIntra #Medway2025 #CreativeMedway #WhoKnew #EnjoyMedway #HeritageOpenDays #HODs
This event is largely free to the public, thanks to the funding support of Tiller & Wheel’s patrons, Medway Council and the Chatham Maritime Trust and we thank them for their support.