Tiller & Wheel’s driving ambition is to create a sustainable future for the last few surviving smacks and barges of the East Coast. To achieve this, we recognise that these wonderful vessels need to be introduced to a diverse new audience.
As such, from 2021, we will be offering a range of FREE sailing trips for the public, removing the barrier of cost to getting afloat.
We sail predominantly on the Rivers Medway and Swale in Kent, offering trips almost every week from April to September from different points along the coast.
Our hope is that people will fall in love with sailing and barges as much as we have, and will want to support our goals by becoming a Patron. Our Patrons get early access to the sailing schedule and a wider range of experiences. Sign up as a Patron from as little as £6* a month – www.patreon.com/tillerandwheel
Come sailing because it’s great, subscribe because you want to…
Free spaces are available on these unique sailing experiences –
Why are we offering free trips and how does it work?
- Heather and Ed are offering these free trips to encourage more people to engage with these historic vessels.
- We are a self-funded organisation, working to benefit the community.
- We hope that you choose to support us by becoming a Patron, but there is no obligation.
- Please only book one date at a time. Once you have completed your sail, you are welcome to book another date.
- We request a £10 deposit per space to confirm your attendance, this is refunded after the trip. If you fail to notify that you no longer wish to sail aboard having booked a place, we will retain the deposit (cancellation must be at least 48 hours before the date of sail).
- You are invited aboard as a guest of Tiller & Wheel – we reserve the right to cancel bookings for any reason.
- Please read the General Information page for further details about the day.
- If you have any further questions please email us – email@example.com
Join the mailing list to receive an update when the free sailing schedule is released –
* + VAT