Departing from Sun Pier, Chatham
As part of The Festival of Chatham Reach, you can have the opportunity to sail aboard one of our hundred year old sailing barges and experience the river as it would have been in the early 20th century.
Enjoying a Medway River Trip aboard either Edith May or Repertor is the perfect way to get an introduction to barge sailing, whilst taking in the historic sights of the upriver Medway between the Dockyard and Sun Pier.
This stretch of the river oozes with history and there will be plenty to see as the barge sails between Rochester Bridge and Chatham Historic Dockyard and the historic vessels contained within this vast museum.
A Thames sailing barge is the ideal platform to experience these sights from, with plenty of deck space and a comfortable hold to explore. There used to be thousands of barges on this stretch of river and now there is only one.
Once aboard, refreshments are available to purchase.
The experience lasts around 80 minutes, with a little variation depending on conditions on the day.
Alternatively, Jetstream Tours will be running free hour long excursions between the barge sailings – visit their website for the booking link.
Before booking, please read the General Information page.
If you have any questions, please contact us
Free Sailing Experiences – Booking guidance
- Please only book one experience at a time. Once you have completed your sail, you are welcome to book another date.
- Please assemble at the gated entrance to the Sun Pier pontoon 10 minutes before your sailing time. Latecomers will not be able to gain admittance.
- Access is via the deck of another static Thames barge – as a guide, you need to be able to climb over a stile to get aboard.
- We request that you return a negative lateral flow Covid test before visiting the festival to minimise the chance of disease spread.
- We hope that you might choose to support us by becoming a Patron, but there is no obligation.
- We request a £10 deposit per space to confirm your attendance, this is refunded after the trip. If you fail to notify that you no longer wish to sail aboard having booked a place, we will retain the deposit (cancellation must be at least 48 hours before the date of sail).
- You are invited aboard as a guest of Tiller & Wheel – we reserve the right to cancel bookings for any reason.
- We strongly advise those visiting to make the most of the excellent public transport links available. The Sir John Hawkins car park (postcode ME4 4JL) is the nearest pay and display facility.