Friday 19th – Sunday 21st June
The Passage Match is a weekend long race for Thames sailing barges, from the River Medway in Kent, to the River Orwell in Suffolk.
Join the crew of one of the barges and enjoy a weekend of hard racing and socialising, undertaken in the best sporting spirit.
The cost of the weekend is £395, which includes:
- Friday night reception drink at Sun Pier House, Chatham
- Evening river cruise from Sun Pier to Stangate Creek, with Jetstream Tours
- Evening BBQ, supplied by Old Haven BBQ, and complimentary drinks
- All meals during the race and Sunday breakfast
- Authentic Guernsey jumper, personalised with your barge’s name (RRP £78)
- Transfer from Butt and Oyster pub to Ipswich Train Station
- The chance to join the crew in a long distance Thames barge race.
The following barges have entered and are available to book:
Edith May – 4 spaces
Ironsides – 4 spaces
Blue Mermaid – 6 spaces
Repertor – 8 spaces
Dawn – 8 spaces
Cambria – 10 spaces
Also entered are Adieu and Marjorie
More information about the race and the entrants can be found on the Match home page
Essential information can be found below – please read before booking.
- It can be cold on the water, even when warm on land – be prepared.
- Do not be late to the rendezvous point at Sun Pier House on Friday night. The ferry departs at 1830hrs sharp!
- The finishing time will vary according to conditions. A fast passage will see the barges at Pin Mill for 7pm on Saturday evening. Unfavourable conditions could see the barges finish as late as Sunday lunchtime.
- The decision to race, or whether to continue to race, is solely for the skipper of each craft. Their decision must be respected.
- Transport is booked to take you to Ipswich train station or Sun Pier, Chatham after the Match, from where you will be responsible for making your own way home.
- Guests should bring a warm waterproof coat, plenty of layers, welly boots and a sleeping bag. Guernsey jumpers and pillows will be provided.
- All catering is provided from Friday evening to Sunday morning, excluding refreshments purchased when on shore. Please advise of any dietary requirements as soon as possible.
- The Passage Match takes place in a fairly exposed part of the Thames Estuary – bad weather and rough seas could occur and it may not be possible to immediately find shelter.
- In the event of an extreme weather event, the Match may be delayed or cancelled. If it not possible to reschedule, refunds will be issued.
- Refunds are issued at the sole discretion of the organiser. We are unable to refund cancellations made by the customer within 1 month of the event, unless we are able to re-sell the space.
- CORONAVIRUS – Should the Match have to be cancelled due to government direction, refunds will be made available. The Match itinerary may have to be adapted to avoid large gatherings of people on Friday and Sunday, in which case the Match will go ahead with crews staying on their allocated vessels.
- Each barge is set up differently – some have private cabins, some an open plan hold with hammocks. If where you sleep is a concern, please contact us and we can suggest the most appropriate barge for you.
- All barges have toilet and kitchen facilities.
- Each barge is fully compliant with all safety requirements. However, there are many hazards aboard a racing barge and by booking a space aboard, you accept that risks are involved and that you are responsible for your own safety throughout the event. Should an accident occur, no claim shall be made against the organisers of the Match or owners, skippers and crew of each barge.