Our Medway River Trip is the perfect way to get an introduction to barge sailing, whilst taking in the historic sights of the upriver Medway between the Dockyard and Sun Pier.
This stretch of the river oozes with history and sailing from Sun Pier, Chatham, there will be plenty to see as the barge passes Upnor Castle (scene of the Dutch raid of 1667), the Copper Rivet Gin Distillery, Chatham Historic Dockyard and the historic vessels contained within this vast museum.
A Thames sailing barge is the ideal platform to experience these sights from, with plenty of deck space and a comfortable hold to explore. There used to be thousands of barges on this stretch of river and now there is only one.
You will be invited to lend a hand setting the sails and are welcome to take a turn at the wheel – a rare chance to handle a large vessel under sail.
Once aboard, refreshments are available to purchase, including hot and cold drinks, a selection of coastal beers, Kent wines and local spirits.
The experience lasts around 80 minutes, with a little variation depending on conditions on the day.
Before booking, please read the General Information page.
If you have any questions, please contact us
Public Sailing Experiences – Booking guidance
- Please only book one experience at a time. Once you have completed your sail, you are welcome to book another date.
- We hope that you choose to support us by becoming a Patron, but there is no obligation.
- A bar selling refreshments will be available on the day.
- We request a £10 deposit per space to confirm your attendance, this is refunded after the trip. If you fail to notify that you no longer wish to sail aboard having booked a place, we will retain the deposit (cancellation must be at least 48 hours before the date of sail).
- You are invited aboard as a guest of Tiller & Wheel – we reserve the right to cancel bookings for any reason.